Welcome to the Balance Community Discussion Forums

Dashboard Forums VISITING SOUTH AFRICA CAPE TOWN Things to do with your boat before you sail off Reply To: Things to do with your boat before you sail off

• jeffj

June 30, 2024 at 8:57 am

………… cont

After spending an evening in House Bay, Carrie and I sailed up into Saldana Bay. Actually motored with no wind 20 miles north. Our ultimate destination was Kraalbaai.

On Monday night we anchored outside the mooring field at the Saldana Bay Yacht Club. A little industrial but nice and well-protected from the wind direction, we encountered that evening. Home – Saldanha Bay Yacht Club (sbyc.co.za)

Tuesday we left mid-morning for Kraalbaai. We were told the water was skinny and that entering at high tide was recommended. Kraalbaai Tide Times | 7 Day Tide Charts | High and Low Tide Tables | Western Cape | South Africa – 2024 (tideking.com) We didn’t time our arrival very well (it’s only a 1 hour motor south) so we anchored one bay over and spent the night. Still, a beautiful spot.

Note: Mind the restricted military area, i was told by a local they could take aggressive action if you enter! It’s clearly marked on the charts and in the water with big yellow floating marks. Sure felt like there was a 50 cal trained on me while transited the area 😉

The next morning we entered and had no problem getting in. We followed the recommended path on Navionics and saw no less than 7′ of water. (1.6 meter tide typical so that tells you about a low-water entry!)

There we stayed until Saturday AM (again woke up early, left at high tide). Stunning place. Long soft sand beautiful beach, strong hike over the dunes to the Atlantic, Flamingos. We are here in winter so it was quiet, but understand during the summer this place gets bonkers. I can understand why. Super protected, good fishing (summer)! I understand they do limit yachts in the lagoon. Had we arrived and been asked to leave or not had room to anchor i think we’d have just stayed the cove over and dingied (sp?) in… then when someone left, moved over? Kraalbaai beach – Secret Cape Town

Great week of testing our water and power management. Back at the week now for punch-list items.

I’ll see if @Dean-Balance will put a few pictures in.